Friday, September 13, 2013
Getting over DC
I got an email from Andrew today about how Fargo is going to have a building that is taller than any building in DC (read it here) and I started thinking about arguments I used to have with Patrick about DC's height restriction (I was pro, he was con). I don't care about the height restriction anymore. I was reading PoPville tonight, and I didn't care. Sometimes there are pangs of regret when I'm watching "Washington Week" or something, but generally speaking, I'm over DC. Honestly, Fargo is not my favorite place in the world, but I love the coffee shop I go to, I love riding my bike to the library, I love watching the sunset over the train tracks, I love talking about disasters, I love feeling out new people, and I think I'm totally not depressed anymore. There will always be a place in my heart for DC and for my friends there, but I'm not sitting around anymore thinking that I've made a terrible mistake. It's harder for me to talk about Syria to the people who I'm used to talking to about things like Syria, but I'm figuring out who I can talk to about Syria, and who to talk to about other issues that I'm interested in. Moreover, the internet is awesome for having drawn-out conversations about politics, and, again, I'm close enough to my Carleton friends in Minneapolis to geek out when I really want to geek out. For the time being, my grad school friends seem like they'll be reliable for weekend plans -- I'm hosting a little movie night tomorrow -- and even though I am still (ugh, still) getting adjusted, the outlook is extremely positive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment