Sunday, October 20, 2013

"This is nothing compared to a Volvo!"

I had quite an adventure this weekend. As you may know, my weekends start on Thursday afternoon and last until Tuesday morning. After my first exam of graduate school on Thursday, I got drinks at a great little restaurant downtown with Jennie, Samantha and Laura and did a little too much philosophizing for my own good, but it was a fun evening and it's nice to know I can get a nice cocktail in Fargo. Anyhow, I did a little bit of work on Friday morning, went on a quest to find the new Janelle Monae CD, and after a quick lunch headed down to Minneapolis. I met Emily and Mollie at the Whole Foods (love you forever, Whole Foods!) where we bought a lot of kale and some other soup fixin's, and then headed back to Emily and Julia's apartment in Uptown. We made soup, drank a lot of wine, and had a great chat about What We're Doing With Our Lives. Dan and Julia came home after we'd eaten and we all talked for a few hours and it was great.

In the morning a whole bunch of people came to the apartment and we made brunch. I demanded that we make mimosas and there were all kinds of vegan pastries, so it was pretty much an ideal morning. After brunch, Emily's friend Franny drove Julia, Morgan, Emily and me to an apple orchard a little ways outside the cities. It was not the nicest day in the world (read: hail), but we managed to pick apples without getting injured or anything. I have so much fruit butter, it's outrageous. On the way home we saw a double rainbow. A+.

We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing, but around 5:45 Morgan had to go to work and I agreed to drive her over. Unfortunately, almost immediately after starting the car I noticed I had a flat tire. After Morgan left to try to find a cab, I drove to the first empty spot I could find and called my parents. Cut to: hysterical crying. Clearly, I was not going to be able to get the tire fixed and would have to spend the rest of my life as a vagrant wandering the streets of Minneapolis. My parents quickly disabused me of this idea, and told me that AAA was on its way, and I was not to worry, because my mother had told the operator I was having a diabetic emergency so the repairmen would be coming extra quickly. Thanks, Mom. My friends came by and further impressed on me the idea that I would somehow survive this experience. A tow truck came pretty soon after I talked to my parents and we got the spare tire on the car. The tow truck driver told me not to worry, he doesn't mind changing tires on Toyotas, but he refuses to change Volvo tires. So, I guess keep that in mind if you're looking for a new car.

Dan, Emily, Julia and I went to an organic cafe for dinner, and we met up with Emily's friend from camp, who goes by Marty and a variety of other names. After dinner we played Bananagrams and made apple crumble without making a dent in the apples we'd picked. I'm not sure if everything seemed so hilarious to me because the company was great, I was a little tipsy, I was still recovering from the stress of thinking I was going to be trapped in Minneapolis forever, or some combination of the three, but I was having a great time. This morning I took my car into the shop and got the tire all fixed up while I did some reading on flood insurance. I met Emily for lunch and took advantage of the plethora of vegan options before heading home. Other than the rain and snow on the drive home, it was uneventful, and I was back by around 5:30. I love seeing my friends down in the cities, and I'll be seeing them a few more times before Thanksgiving break, but boy does it feel good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment