Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Health Care Reform

So, if you didn't already know, I'm incredibly irresponsible. I mean, not with other peoples' stuff, honestly, if you need me to do something I'll do it, you can count on me. On the other hand, when I need to make sure I have the medication I need to live, for example, I'm a little more lax. Today's saga involved finding insulin, and honestly it was a little touch-and-go there for a while, which is the opposite of how a diabetic trying to find insulin should go. To be clear, this was 95% my fault. 99%. I've known for a few weeks that I needed to call one or several pharmacies to get my medicine, but I didn't do it, and I don't have a great explanation for why. Well, ok, yeah, I'm lazy. That being said, about 1% of this was The System's fault, and I have some suggestions for how health care could be reformed to make my life easier:

1. Someone else should be in charge of making sure I have enough insulin and other supplies. Why hasn't anyone realized I'm not nearly enough of an adult to take care of myself?

2. You shouldn't need a prescription for insulin, it should be freely available over the counter. I can't think of any problems here.

3. There should be a whole lot more endocrinologists, they should always have appointments available, and my insurance should allow me to go see them anywhere.

4. If insulin isn't changed to an OTC medication, my student health service should take me at my word that I'm diabetic and should willingly write me a prescription. Again, can't imagine anything could go wrong.

5. We should have a single payer system.

Get on it, Congress!

No comments:

Post a Comment