You know what's not quite as much fun as it's cracked up to be? Oral surgery. I flew home Thursday night (I finished The Narrow Road to the Deep North on the flight, btw, and it was excellent but crushing) and Friday morning was treated to about an hour of people, let's just say, digging around and implanting things in my mouth. My mind kept wandering back to TNRTTDN and this scene where the main character is performing this really gruesome amputation in a Japanese POW camp, which really was not making me feel any better, but I eventually managed to start going through disaster recovery facts and assumptions, which was incredibly helpful. That's really the perfect time to put your knowledge of the first 100 digits of pi to use, but that did not occur to me until later. The rest of my trip home was, mercifully, much more pleasant. I love my parents, and I really love my parents when I'm a little bit high on vicodin. My mom was just classic my mom (at one point on Friday I was lying on the couch, and she comes into the den to tell me she's going to pick up my prescriptions and asked if I needed anything. I told her some soup would be amazing, and she looks surprised, and then a little bit resigned, and then goes, "I wasn't planning on going to the grocery store..." All right, Mom.) and my dad and I laughed way too hard when we discovered that he and I can both move our lower jaw from side to side, but Mom can't (like, we laughed for a solid five minutes, but I was also, you know, a little high on vicodin). Two days is about the right amount of time to spend with my parents -- I can be lazy and they take me out to dinner, and everybody is pretty well behaved. My mom had been threatening to take us to King Richard's Faire, but luckily Dad and I convinced her we should go apple picking instead, which was a much better decision I think. There was a moment of tension when one of the employees at the orchard told my mom she couldn't bring in the six foot picker my parents insisted we bring, but, don't worry, we still managed to find plenty of apples.
It's great to go home, and I had a very nice time, but between the sleeping and the apple picking and the reading with Dad, I didn't get any work done, so this week is going to be kind of crazy. Mostly cramming a bit for the LSAT is going to be kind of crazy (YIKES) (guys, I know you can't fail the LSAT but I may fail the LSAT). I got most of the rest of the work I needed to do this week out of the way today, so I can focus on last minute studying tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday, which is good. And, good news, I thought I was going to have to postpone my Finished-With-The-LSAT Celebration until mid-October when I will be taking the most fabulous trip to Winnipeg, but at trivia tonight I won tickets to an improv show Saturday night, plus our team came in second place so I also got some free drinks (totally deserved it tonight, I spent a solid hour researching famous horses on Wikipedia this evening). Anyway, wish me all the luck, and if you're in Fargo, come to Line Benders at 222 Broadway Saturday night/out for drinks with me to celebrate/watch me cry!
No comments:
Post a Comment