This was a pretty big year for me -- twelve months ago I didn't know where I would be going to grad school, or even if I would be accepted. I made a really tough decision after those acceptances came in, and moved from just about my favorite place in the world to one I'm still getting used to. I said goodbye to some great friends, but met a whole bunch of new ones, and ended up closer to some of the best folks I know. I'd be lying if I said it's been an easy transition, or that I'm enthusiastic about my next few years in Fargo, but I also know how easy it is to look at the past with rose-colored glasses, or to emphasize the things in your life that are hard instead of the things that bring you joy. In addition my mother's suggested resolution that I find myself a husband, I don't think that's a bad thing to work on in 2014 -- looking on the bright side. I'm also going to make more of an effort to expand my social circle, and get out there and do more things with people, say one activity every week. Bring it on, 2014.
Tuesday, December 31, 2013
Winter Break, Part 3
Happy New Year, everybody! I'm heading to New York City in about forty minutes to ring in 2014 with Nikoleta, and I'm planning on having a great time, and possibly being trapped there forever if the weather forecast doesn't change. I'll have updates for you on that once I get back, but I want to take a minute and reflect back on 2013, because it has been a doozy.
This was a pretty big year for me -- twelve months ago I didn't know where I would be going to grad school, or even if I would be accepted. I made a really tough decision after those acceptances came in, and moved from just about my favorite place in the world to one I'm still getting used to. I said goodbye to some great friends, but met a whole bunch of new ones, and ended up closer to some of the best folks I know. I'd be lying if I said it's been an easy transition, or that I'm enthusiastic about my next few years in Fargo, but I also know how easy it is to look at the past with rose-colored glasses, or to emphasize the things in your life that are hard instead of the things that bring you joy. In addition my mother's suggested resolution that I find myself a husband, I don't think that's a bad thing to work on in 2014 -- looking on the bright side. I'm also going to make more of an effort to expand my social circle, and get out there and do more things with people, say one activity every week. Bring it on, 2014.
This was a pretty big year for me -- twelve months ago I didn't know where I would be going to grad school, or even if I would be accepted. I made a really tough decision after those acceptances came in, and moved from just about my favorite place in the world to one I'm still getting used to. I said goodbye to some great friends, but met a whole bunch of new ones, and ended up closer to some of the best folks I know. I'd be lying if I said it's been an easy transition, or that I'm enthusiastic about my next few years in Fargo, but I also know how easy it is to look at the past with rose-colored glasses, or to emphasize the things in your life that are hard instead of the things that bring you joy. In addition my mother's suggested resolution that I find myself a husband, I don't think that's a bad thing to work on in 2014 -- looking on the bright side. I'm also going to make more of an effort to expand my social circle, and get out there and do more things with people, say one activity every week. Bring it on, 2014.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment