Monday, April 14, 2014

Self-improvement, etc., etc.

So, if you hadn't noticed, I've been in kind of a funk lately. Other than winter, I think there are a few reasons for this, a major one being that pretty much all my friends are going to be leaving in about a month. Plus, there's not going to be a whole lot of QT with them because I am swamped right up until the bitter end. Swamped in a way which would be comical if I didn't, you know, have to do it. I'm really frustrated with my methods class, but I'm really interested in the project I'm doing, so as much as I know I'll be leaving the class without having learned much about methods, it has given me the opportunity to get to know my classmates, and some of the undergraduates, better. Finishing that up is going to be a slog, though. Then there's the comp, which will, God willing, be over in a week and a day. And thesis -- woo boy. Dr. K wants me to have a proposal ready to go by the end of the semester, which is... unorthodox. I'll do my best, there.

So I've got all that going on, and some of the things that have traditionally motivated me (e.g. marathon reading books, drinking all kinds of wines) are just not quite doing it for me. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to give myself another kind of motivation, something to look forward to besides finishing a book a week (even though, boy have I been reading some good books, I'm in the middle of The Goldfinch right now, and if I didn't have sort of a major test coming up, I don't think I'd be able to put it down). I was hoping to get a little feedback from people. I've been thinking seriously about actually joining roller derby. I'm worried about injury and my extreme lack of coordination, but I would like to do something more on the athletic side of things, just to get outside my comfort zone a bit. A marathon is pretty much out of the question for me right now, but maybe training for a half? Does anybody have any suggestions? Something team-related would be nice socially and because there would be some pressure on me to keep at it, but I also... don't really know how to do anything, and like the idea of being able to practice on my own. If you think of something, let me know! Self-improvement, etc., etc.!

No comments:

Post a Comment