In my infinite wisdom, a while ago I booked a flight to go home to Boston for tomorrow morning... at 5 AM. So I'm pulling an all-nighter, for not quite the first time, and so far I'm having a grand old time keeping myself entertained. I have many, many books to read, packing to do, and dishes to clean up, but what I'm focused on right now is learning about the method of loci (... yes, mind palaces, like I said, I've gotten back into "Sherlock" in kind of a big way), and using it to memorize sonnets. I can do 116 now, it only took me about ten minutes to learn! So that's satisfying. If you have any suggestions for the next six hours or so, feel free to send them my way.
I haven't written recently, so I'll give you a brief summary of my past week: Emily was here for one afternoon, and that was absolutely wonderful -- we walked around downtown a bit and had a great chat. It's weird not to be in Minneapolis for such a long time, but a trip to DC I was planning to take later this summer has been postponed, so I might be down again at the end of August. Anyway, it was nice to see Emily after a relatively long time, as always.
The other interesting thing that happened this week was an unnecessary medical crisis, which was, for probably the first time, not even a little bit my fault. So, I have an insulin pump (often confused with a cell phone, beeper, digital camera, and on one occasion, a recording device, and because of which Becky occasionally refers to me as "Businessman"), and this insulin pump requires some supplies. I order these supplies every few weeks, and they are delivered, without fail, within five days (even though they say seven to ten on the phone). I was running low a week and a half ago, so I called and re-ordered, and sat tight for a week, at which point I started getting a little nervous. Since I moved to Fargo, orders have sometimes taken an extra day or two to get to me, but I wanted to double-check, so on Friday I called to see what was going on. Note that, at this point, I had my last infusion set inserted, and it had been in for about five days (which is a good two days longer than it's supposed to be in). When I reached a representative, I was told that my endocrinologist's office had been faxed an order of medical necessity twice, and no response had been sent in, so my order had not been placed. I just about lost my mind. One major positive aspect of this experience was that I gained an appreciation for how far uncontrollable weeping can get you with customer service representatives. After a phone call to my doctor's office and another one with an on-call physician, my supplies were on their way. Of course, they're not scheduled to get here until Wednesday, and considering that I will be in Boston for two weeks, that is not particularly helpful. I have called twice to have my order re-routed, and I am pretty sure it is not being re-routed. Luckily, the endocrinologist has some extra supplies and my mom is going to pick them up before she gets me at the airport. In the meantime, my infusion set is still going strong after more than a week, and if it pops out overnight, I have a huge bag of syringes. Silver linings all over the place!
No comments:
Post a Comment