Greetings from Wellesley! Yes, that's right, in case you missed it somehow, I'm home for a couple of weeks, and so far it's been fantastic, actually. It's a little hard to know where to start... I got home last Tuesday afternoon. The trip was mostly uneventful, apart from my experience with my seat mate on the flight from Fargo to Minneapolis who told me he was surprised I wasn't married because I'm "a very beautiful woman." He was a nice guy, but I was relieved when he did not propose to me during the flight, which seemed like a possibility at the beginning there. I'll divide up the rest of the trip by who I've spent time with, that seems easiest thematically, don't you think?
The fam
Between my sister's comments about all books being love stories about Indian doctors, my dad's willingness to make a grill for her birthday, and my mother's very peculiar dancing to "Black Skinhead" (which I am so sorry I did not videotape for you, Internet), my family remains as totally insane as they ever were. We have been having a great time together, though, despite some raised voices here and there, and occasional threats of homicide. I've spent a good chunk of time looking at houses with my mom and dad, who are hell-bent on moving out of Wellesley as quickly as possible. There are a number of reasons for this, but the most important seems to be absence of pubs within staggering distance. We've seen some neat places, but my favorite is an old Victorian in Newton that I think my parents might put an offer in on. The house is on a street called Prescott, and, since reading that, my mom has not stopped referencing Prescott Pharmaceuticals, which is charming. Other activities have included shopping, going out to restaurants, and introducing them to "Sherlock," which I was aghast to learn they hadn't seen before. Becky and I have had some weird times discussing the Kardashians and... well, mostly just discussing the Kardashians.
Emily
I have spent several days with Emily, and they have been so, so good. Last week we did a lot of walking around Boston, going into bookshops, drinking coffee, and making fun of clothes at high-end stores ("'Pineapple crop top' would be a great passphrase."). We went out for Ethiopian over the weekend, which was great because I hadn't had Ethiopian food in forever. We got drinks afterward on Newbury Street, and spent more hours than I knew you could talking about The Little Mermaid. Last night we saw Cool Hand Luke at Coolidge Corner, and swooned a lot over Paul Newman. God, Paul Newman. Paul Newman... Sorry, what was I saying? Ah yes, Emily. Yes, we've had a great time together, and she's away for the week but hopefully we'll be getting together at least once more before I had back to Fargo.
Laura and Sam
Speaking of Fargo! I had a very typical, very enjoyable visit with Laura and Sam yesterday. We agreed to meet at a restaurant in Central Square in Cambridge, and when I got to Central Square Sam called me and said that she and Laura were at Church Street, which is in Harvard Square, about a mile and a half away. So, ok. They somehow ended up walking around in circles for a while (?) but eventually we met up and walked back to the restaurant together (I got in well over 10,000 steps yesterday (thanks, FitBit!)). Sam told us all about her recent travels all over the country, literally, and about her plans for Delaware. It sounds like things are going to work out there financially, which is terrific. Laura caught us up on what's been going on with her job search. I'm not going to besmirch any particular very small state's emergency management agency, but let's just say some things didn't work out, but other opportunities seem to be available. I don't want to jinx her, but there are some exciting prospects that she's exploring right now. After a fabulous vegan lunch, we walked back into Harvard Square and I got to look at more books, and Laura and Sam made fun of me. So pretty standard outing for us, basically. It was great to see those ladies, possibly there will be time for another one, and if not I'm happy that they're near by and I can see them when I'm home again in the future!
Various doctors
There are a number of things wrong with me, so I get to see a lot of doctors when I'm home. I had a couple of dental appointments, an appointment with my endocrinologist next week, and one with an oral surgeon yesterday. Lucky, lucky me, I have some stupid thing wrong with my sinus, so when I'm home for Christmas this year I get to have another surgery, and this time they're probably going to remove one of my molars, although I've been told after 4 or 5 months I won't miss it. Comforting. I love the oral surgeon, he's terrific and we had a great chat about Fargo, but I really would have liked to have been able to keep all my teeth.
Ok, well I'll leave it at that for now. I'm hoping to see my friend Laura sometime before I leave, and I'm headed to New York City this weekend to see Niko (and possibly others?). Stay tuned for all that!
No comments:
Post a Comment