Boy, I haven't written in a while, huh? I know you've all been waiting with bated breath for a new entry, so I'm going to take a little break from proposal-ing to indulge your curiosity. Classes started this week with the newbies, and I think this semester is going to be... different from the last two. Suffice it to say, I didn't realize how much I was going to miss John, Laura and Sam (and Jennie and Lauren! But we didn't have class together). We all had some news to discuss, so last night I Skyped with Sam and Laura about job interviews, new apartments and new classmates. It was great, and I think we're going to make it a regular thing, plus hopefully we can get the rest of the crew in on some calls. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've gotten my schedule all sorted out at this point, which took a lot longer than it should have. The only class I'm taking is Recovery, plus some thesis credits. I'm also going to continue working with the USDA, try to write an article on disaster insurance, take the LSAT and start applying to jobs/schools for next year. What I'm trying to say is that I'm going to have a lot of free time. Like I said, it's going to be different with new students, but I think, with some friends outside of school and a lot to do to keep myself busy, it's going to be a good year.
Since the last time I wrote I've also done a bit of traveling, if you can still count hanging out in Minneapolis as traveling (I'd be surprised if Emily and Julia didn't ask me to start paying rent at some point soon). I had a couple of eventful driving moments -- on my way into Minneapolis at one point, it was raining so hard it looked like I was driving through the ocean, which was terrifying; and last week I got so aggravated with the driver ahead of me (people don't understand how to use the left lane appropriately) that I yelled some obscenities so forcefully that I split my lip a little bit (picked up some chap stick, so hopefully that won't be a problem in the future). Other than that though, they were great trips. I was able to see Morgan for both her birthday and her birthday party, spent some quality time with Elena and heard about the Paul Bunyan operetta she sang in and made plans to learn a duet over Skype, tasted a lot of samples at a food festival in Loring Park, and re-watched the cinematic classic Center Stage. I'm headed back down this weekend, mostly to see Rachel (!), who's coming in from NC, and then technically again next week, but only for one night, and then Teddy and I will be off to Seattle (!!) to see Hannah, and then Niko. It's going to be a great few weeks.
Good stuff has been going on in Fargo, too. I went out a couple of times with Erin and Chris from Meetup this week. Trivia was on Tuesday, and I also got to chat with Alison, another great person; and then on Wednesday I went to bingo with them at Dempsey's, where I did not win anything but did get a free drink (winning). I'm putting the finishing touches on the menu for a dinner party I'll be having them and a few other people to in a few weeks, and it's going to be great. (Side note: if you live in Fargo or will be traveling to Fargo and would like me to prepare a delicious vegan feast for you, let me know, and I will!) Have I mentioned that things are going to be good this year? There's a lot to look forward to, and I really feel like I've finally gotten my sea legs here, which is a relief and strangely satisfying, in spite of the fact that it took me more than a year.
No comments:
Post a Comment