I decided to go in a different direction for my speech, though, because there was one moment I kept coming back to when I was thinking about Hannah. As you may or may not have been able to gather in reading between the lines of this blog, or, more likely, in talking to me at all last year, moving to Fargo was probably one of the most, if not the most, difficult things I've ever done. And yeah, part of that was culture shock and the bedazzled NRA t-shirts at Wal-Mart and not knowing a single person in the city I was moving to, and part of it was missing going to talks at Busboys and Poets and Nats games and playing kickball on the National Mall. But mostly it was surrendering a vision of myself and my future, letting go of, I don't want to say illusions, but some conception of what my life was. It was like ripping off the biggest, stickiest Band-Aid in the world, which was still covering up a cut that hadn't fully healed. I needed to do it, and I'm glad every day that I did, but even thinking about my last weekend in DC makes me a little anxious. And on my second to last night in my favorite city in the world, after I had said goodbye to some of my favorite people in the world, I was terrified and miserable, and basically a complete mess. I don't get like this very often, basically having a kind of emotional emergency, and I knew I needed to put myself in someone else's hands. So I called Hannah. Now, I don't talk to Hannah very often anymore -- we call each other maybe once every six months or so, and it's always easy to talk to her, but it's not like I know what's going on with her day-to-day. But there was no one else it made the remotest sense to me to call. I don't remember what Hannah said, but whatever it was, it calmed me down enough to basically be able to get on with my life, at least right then. So Hannah, if I do outlive you, that's probably what I'll say at your funeral. Plus probably a few of the old chestnuts ("One is tends to ponder obsessively death").
--------------
Anyway, back to me. I think you've all probably read enough of my Deep Thoughts for now, but hopefully I'll have a more general update about my life in the next few days. I have some hypotheticals to share with you, plus a lot of insecurities to trot out again, so look forward to that!
No comments:
Post a Comment