Monday, September 21, 2015

Some Updates

Hellooooo! I was going to just abandon this blog, but several people have been bugging me about it, so here I am once again to bother you all. Since I last wrote, some Things have happened to me. In no particular order:

  • I started working at Barnes & Noble
  • I received all of my rabies vaccinations, and can now interact with wildlife as much as I want to for the next three years
  • I took a very, very brief trip down to the cities to see Julia, Dan, Hannah and Liz, which was great and full of One Direction talk (you're a champ, Dan)
  • Sam is back in town (!!!), as well as Laurence, the other PhD student
  • My apartment is infested with wasps :( and other experiences with insects
So, Barnes & Noble: this has been really good, overall! My coworkers have really driven home the fact that I am old af, but I like to think the time I've spent on Tumblr has helped me interact with and understand the Youth. They are all very cool and make me feel cool by proxy, and I'm looking forward to imparting wisdom and teaching them about all the gay conspiracy theories. In general, I've also just really enjoyed helping people find books, and I feel good about the fact that I can cross "working in a bookstore" off my bucket list. I have some great customer stories, but I'm not going to write about them here. You all have telephones.

In terms of the rabies vaccines, these were overall a positive experience for me. I got to meet some lovely nurses, including one who told me a story about her house being infested with snakes, which really put my problems with wildlife into perspective. Additionally, I'm not going to die of rabies, which based only on my knowledge of Their Eyes were Watching God, is definitely a good thing.

I'm going to group the friends stuff together, because I don't really have stories at this point, it's all just been really good. Sam, Laurence and I have been having dinner together one night every weekend, which was such a good idea (good call, Laurence). I'm going to be totally honest: having my entire social network be people in an emergency management graduate program could get to be overwhelming. Now that I know lots of other people in Fargo, being able to have a few times a week when I know I'll get to talk about the department, the discipline, and the people we have in common has been perfect. And I have to say that it's so great having Sam back -- obviously I miss the whole masters crew, but even just having one member back in town has been terrific.

And last but not least, my wasp infestation. So currently, the situation is that the wasp nest has been sprayed (I feel bad about it too, Caroline, seriously), but I think a lot of the wasps were kind of trapped in the house, and the one point of egress is apparently my kitchen, so I have dozens of wasps in my apartment every morning, which I try to trap and release outside throughout the day. Of course, most days I work about eight hours, so I don't have a lot of time to be trapping wasps, so there are also a lot of dead wasps all over the place. I found one in my slipper this afternoon. None of them have stung me, but on balance I'd still prefer that they were outside rather than inside. At least they're not snakes, though!

Sorry this was so all over the place. I'll try to write a little bit more regularly. Here's a picture of Harry Styles: 

No comments:

Post a Comment