Friday, May 24, 2013

Good News, Bad News

I survived! Barely. Of course I only got three hours of sleep, so today was a little rough. The van I booked took a hilariously scenic route to Dulles, but I made it with plenty of time before my flight. I passed out immediately upon getting on the plane and slept for the whole flight. I got my rental car more quickly than I was anticipating, and made it to the Uptown Diner in Minneapolis without getting lost/dying. I met up with Morgan and then Elena, and we had a great chat about Environmental Studies, Minneapolis, Fargo, Michigan and a host of other things. We left with exactly enough time for me to get to Fargo for my first apartment viewing. The drive isn't bad, but it's kind of tough when you've only slept six hours in the past two days. The difficulty was compounded by the lack of good music, but I bought the new National album (Emily, if you haven't already, don't buy it! (Because you can take mine, not because it's not good)) at a record store in Fargo (they have record stores in Fargo!) so the drive back to Minneapolis should be more enjoyable. Anyhow, so I got to the first apartment building, and the property manager and introduced himself and showed me around. Oooh boy, guys, it was teensy. I mean, I live in a studio, but this apartment made my studio look palatial. So that was right out. Then, after some confusion, I went to see a one bedroom, but I don't think it was legally a one bedroom, because the room that's advertised as the bedroom doesn't have any windows. Plus, it's a basement apartment, so I wouldn't have a view. Ok, so the last place I was planning to look at was a no-go, because everyone from their office is on vacation. FANTASTIC. So, I don't have a place to live yet. Well, ok. That's the bad news, and it is troubling, but hopefully I'll be able to finish up the search remotely, and I'm optimistic because I really like what I've seen of the apartment that I couldn't see in person today.

Anyway, so the good news is that I LOVE FARGO. I was sort of expecting it to be like Northfield, the town where I went to school -- small and quiet. And it is small, especially compared to DC, but it has sort of a bustling downtown and all these cute stores and restaurants and nature and... oh, it's great, it's just great. Sorry, I know this is disjointed, hopefully once I've slept more tonight I'll be in better shape. So I'm just going to leave you with that tonight. Fargo is great, but so far I am homeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment