Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Things are Looking Up in Fargo

Ahhh internet... I still haven't received my modem yet, but it should be coming this week and then I can update this blog regularly, from my home! I love this coffee shop, though. They're playing this song that I listened to literally thousands of times in high school right now, and that seems like a good omen, right? And free internet! God, I love free internet. I can't believe how much I've missed reading the Hairpin, and, you know, being able to download email attachments. Anyway, this week is looking up, mostly because I am going to see my dear friend Emily tomorrow. The thought of having an in-person conversation with someone that's longer than "look at all those hippies on the street!" is really, really exciting. I have almost talked to two people in this coffee shop in the past few days, one of whom was doing a needlepoint that said "Death Before Decaf," which was appealing to me for obvious reasons, and the other of whom was using an HTC One, which is a more tenuous conversation-starter, but gives me an opportunity to tell my story about my phone throwing itself on the tracks. I didn't talk to either of these people, though. Anyway, in addition to Emily, I'll be going down to Minneapolis this weekend for lunch with Elena and then some QT with Teddy in Northfield. Next week I'm going home to Boston for a while, which I'm really looking forward to, actually, apart from having to pay for long term airport parking.

In addition to all this social excitement, my big news is that I have finished unpacking my boxes and furnishing my apartment! Without further ado, here are some photos:


This is the living room. I have spent a large amount of time reading in that chair. When I get a record player I'm going to listen to Maria Callas records and, I don't know, drink brandy or something. Super sophisticated. I still need to get some frames for Becky's prints so I can put them over the mantle, but I think it looks pretty nice so far.


Here's the other side of the living room. Still not sure what I'm going to do with those chairs. 


I set my desk up in the corner with my FTC poster. Hey, FTC! Miss you!


Front hallway, this is not super exciting apart from the fact that there are no longer any boxes in it.


Kitchen, the sink unfortunately does not have a disposal and there's no dishwasher, but one day, when I'm a real person, I will have these things. For now, chalkboard paint! So much better than a dishwasher!



I seriously love chalkboard paint, you guys. There are going to be so many graphs drawn in this kitchen. And yes, I did have chalk, of course I did.


Friends, a lot of you are on my fridge! I'm going to get a bulletin board as soon as I feel like driving again, and put the rest of you up.


There's actually enough space in this apartment to use my table, and because I have chosen not to order cable, I imagine I will be eating here instead of in front of the TV, which seems very responsible to me.


This is my bedroom. There's a stained glass window above my bed, NBD. 


And the bathroom. It's small but functional, and, thanks to my mother, color-coordinated. Some part of the plumbing in the bathroom is leaking but I can't figure out which part. Other than that it's working out ok.


And this is Uncle Ted in the front of the house. I have basically the whole first floor in the front of the house. One of my neighbors has marriage equality and Fargo Brewing Company stickers on his car, so I feel pretty good about living here.


This is downtown Fargo during the summer street fair. Seriously, how adorable is it? My apartment is only about five blocks from here, which is far enough from the action that my neighborhood isn't noisy, but close enough that I can walk into town, and, you know, steal some internet. 

So, yes, things are looking up. I have plans with people this week, next week, and then a wedding, and then more friends, and then orientation and the start of classes. I think you all won't have to read so many depressing posts over the next few weeks. 

4 comments:

  1. Your place looks awesome!! :) misd you snd good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, the F-M is the best! Especially the street fair, you should be out searching for the Fargo Forum's token they hide each night (its worth $500, and I found it one year, not a big deal or anything... haha).

    That last picture doesn't do the citizens of Fargo justice though (we are not all old people looking vaguely senile walking in the middle of the street).

    WHOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love your apartment. Let's catch up sometime soon :) I would love to find a weekend to visit you this year! I had such a great time in Philly catching up and I don't think we should wait another 7 years (or however long it was) to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie: yes please! I would love to both catch up and see you. I'm planning on doing a West Coast trip at some point, too.

    ReplyDelete