Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Baby, It's Cold Outside

I have to write about the weather, everybody. I know it's been "cold" out there on the east coast, and I'm really sorry about that for all of you, but we've been having some of our own struggles out here in North Dakota. I woke up this morning from a dream-adaptation of Sense and Sensibility, looked at the temperature on my phone, and just laughed. I just laughed, guys. Because it was -49 with wind chill. Let me tell you about what I have to do to go outside when it's -49. First of all, if I don't want some part of my body to go numb, I have to put at least three layers of clothing on it. This morning I wore two pairs of socks with snow boots, fleece-lined leggings, jeans, a long-sleeved shirt, a fleece, the world's ugliest coat that's trying so hard not to be so ugly, a balaclava, a scarf, and my cheap sunglasses, because sunglasses with metal frames are unbearable. So, what does all this mean in practical terms? Well, I look like a cross between an astronaut and the little brother in A Christmas Story. Walking to school is quite an adventure because, even though I'm actually pretty warm in this get-up, I can't see anything because my glasses fog up, and I have no peripheral vision because of my furry hood. Indeed, in addition to my peripheral vision (and vision generally) walking to campus means I have to give up other luxuries, like trying to be more fashionable than the undergraduates, and looking both ways before crossing the street. Moreover, by the time I get to the building my class is in, there's so much condensation under my glasses that my eye makeup starts to run and I look a little bit like a member of a KISS cover band. Honestly, though, I don't mind so much, for a few reasons. First of all, ok, yes, by the time I get to class I can barely feel my legs, but the rest of my body feels like I'm wrapped in a blanket, and it's almost comforting. Also, and I think I've written this before, I've worked out an elaborate mental game where I'm not Amanda, going to class, I'm Dennis Quaid, going to New York City after a massive snowstorm to save my son, Jake Gyllenhaal. That's certainly motivational.

And since you're all here, I guess I should tell you a little bit about how the semester is going. Well, my classes are great, and I'm not procrastinating (so far), so I feel busy without being overwhelmed. Qualitative methods is really interesting, even though I think the readings are beyond silly. Preparedness is great, because Jessica's classes seem to always be well designed and engaging. Advanced research methods is... intimate, with only two students and the head of the department. For a variety of reasons, I'm particularly excited for that one. Finally, my vulnerable populations class with Sam and Jessica is going well -- I'm looking forward to tackling some of the issues that are most important to me from a future policy perspective. Otherwise, things have been good socially. Over the weekend I went to trivia with some vegan folks; saw Inside Llewyn Davis with Sam, Jennie and Laura (and cried a lot, as you may have expected, but it's terrific, you should all see it); and had everybody over for vegan snacks and "Sherlock." As long as I can start my car in the morning, I think things are looking pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment