All right, just a little bit more about the weather: yes, ok, the cold is miserable. But I know that if I put on three pairs of pants and a ski mask and whatnot, I'll be ok. The snow is another matter. We are currently experiencing a blizzard, or so my Weather Channel app keeps telling me. It's not so much that it's snowing, but that it had snowed and it's really windy so all the snow has kind of gotten spread around. A smart person would have said to themselves, all right, great, I'll just stay inside tonight. Not me. As some of you may know, tonight was the second episode of the third season of "Sherlock," and Laura and I were supposed to go over to John and Lauren's place to watch it. Laura took me to Sam's place last night, so I volunteered to be the driver tonight. Obviously I noticed it was cold as I left my apartment (I think -44 with wind chill?), but I was about to hop into the car so I wasn't too worried. The drive over to her place wasn't so bad, until I pulled up to the parking lot. The entrance to the lot had a good foot and a half of snow in it, but I thought, my Prius can handle it. This was a miscalculation. I almost immediately got stuck in the snow. My poor car was making all kinds of unhappy noises. I also made some unhappy noises. After a few rounds of alternatively kicking snow away from my tires and yelling horrible, horrible things, I managed to back out into the street. At that point I decided it was probably wise not to go looking for more driving adventures. When I got home I had several drinks and enjoyed "Sherlock" by myself. Safety first, kids.
I have otherwise been having some fun social times. Last night Sam had a party, beer pong and Coors Light, reliving college memories I don't have. It was a good time, though -- we played a couple of charades-like games and Cards Against Humanity, and kept the talk about Emergency Management to a minimum. Earlier this week was the Har Mar Superstar concert. I continue to love going to shows at the Aquarium. Although Sam and I got pushed out of the front row by several very drunk, very excited people, we were very close and made a lot of meaningful/uncomfortable eye contact with Har Mar Superstar himself. I would recommend going to one of these concerts, even if you don't know much of the music -- I knew maybe three of his songs going in (at one point he announced he was going to perform "Restless Leg" [cheering from the audience], then he said,"It's about my dick," [silence]). He's quite the performer, but fair warning: he does take almost all of his clothes off. The other good news from that concert was that I ended up standing next to one of the baristas from Atomic Coffee, and it is my greatest aspiration to befriend them, so now I think I'll have a conversation starter the next time she's working. Anyhow, I think there are at least two more concerts there in my future, learning the music now.
No comments:
Post a Comment