Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Classes!

Today was my first day of classes and I... how do I put this? I don't think they're going to be that hard. I'm taking a class on disaster response with Jessica, who is apparently about the hardest prof in the university, and we'll have a lot of reading, but we'll also be done before Thanksgiving. Then I'm taking a GIS class and a stats class, both of which are basically designed to help us pass, which is not something I'm used to at all. I'm going to be doing a lot of reading, both for Jessica's class and for the research I'm doing for her as part of my assistanceship (which is really also research for me, on disaster insurance and incentives), but other than that it should be pretty manageable. So, I don't know, I'm looking forward to not feeling like I'm going to die because I'm so busy, but I'm also sort of uncomfortable with the whole thing. Laura, who is sharing an office with me in the Emergency Management department (still no windows), has got me doing this pomodoro technique, where you do work for 25 minutes and then take a five minute break. We're going to have competitions to see who can do the most "pomodoros." So, efficiency.

I like the people in this program. They're nice people, and they're not a bunch of North Dakotans, which is what I had been anticipating. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They're a fairly diverse bunch, actually, in terms of personality, so I have a good mix of people to talk to about at least a portion of the weird things I like to talk about. I miss all my Carls and my DC folks, but I think we're going to have some good times together.

Now, on a completely different note, I'm reading a fascinating book about psychology, and I have a little probability-type question for you:

Linda is thirty-one years old, single, outspoken, and very bright. She majored in philosophy. As a student, she was deeply concerned with issues of discrimination and social justice, and also participated in antinuclear demonstrations. [This was written in the 1970s, obviously]. Is Linda more likely to be a bank teller, or a bank teller who is active in the feminist movement?

No comments:

Post a Comment