I was planning on writing from home but... didn't, so if you were hoping for that, sorry. I'll just give you a few little anecdotes because I want to tell you about some new things in Fargo.
Before I launch into the exciting family stuff, I saw two friends while I was in Boston, Laura and Caila. I stayed at Laura's apartment Wednesday night because it is actually impossible to get from downtown to Wellesley late at night when you're drunk. I mean, I guess it's possible, but it's illegal. What I'm trying to say is there is insufficient public transportation (but Wellesley's getting a bus!). Anyway, we made vegan cookies, drank a lot of wine, and sort of watched The Bourne Supremacy. Also, lots and lots and lots of talking, which was exactly what I needed. I saw Caila the next morning for about an hour, we got coffee and she told me a hilariously awkward story, so it was good to know that she hasn't changed too much.
And because by this point you should be used to horrendous segues in my posts, I went to mass with my mom on Sunday and afterwards we went to the rectory to meet with my favorite priest so he could give me some suggestions for churches out here. The church he recommended is 4 hours away, so I don't think that's going to work out, but he's a super smart dude and it was fun talking to him. I have more things to say about finding a church, but I won't subject you to that right now.
So, family. Again, when we weren't at each other's throats it was a fun trip and it was good to see them. We're not very adventurous, so the most exciting thing I really did with any of them was walking up a big hill with my dad to try to see an open house that wasn't open when we got there. They also bought me a lot of stuff and illustrated dramatically that we have differing conflict resolution styles. I can't even explain how hard it always is for me to leave, and I don't totally understand it, but it kills me every single time.
Last night I got back to Minneapolis and had dinner with Amy at this awesome restaurant in Uptown. We ate an unbelievable amount of food and talked about grad school, Uganda, and Fargo (of course). We barely talked about the end of the world at all, and I guess that's a good thing, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit disappointed. Hopefully I'll be talking to people about the end of the world a lot in the next few weeks. Emily was gracious enough to put me up again last night, and we left her place around 6:45 so I got an early start on my trip home.
Ok, now, Fargo: nothing I did today was that noteworthy, but I'm really happy about all of it. I set up my internet and TV antenna (I mostly get PBS, which is all I really want anyway), and bought some things at Target to further organize and decorate my place. I put up a bulletin board to display all the random crap you all have sent me over the years, and I mean it affectionately when I write that you've really brought the class level in my apartment down a few notches. It's amazing the way having the walls all decorated and a working TV and internet connection makes this place feel like home. I really feel comfortable here for probably the first time. After having read The Shallows, I'm not sure what that says about me.
No comments:
Post a Comment