Coming back to my apartment after meeting with Jessica, I was feeling really lonely again, and the book I'm reading definitely isn't helping. This paragraph really summed up why I think it was so bad today:
The priest told him, "After I left home, my mother and father moved to Boston. I talked to my mother on the telephone in 1948. I called from the new important hotel in Davao. New at that time. Still important maybe, eh? She said she was praying for me always. Hearing her voice made her sound more far away than ever. When I got back to the parish here, it was like starting all over again on the first day. I felt far from home again." -Denis Johnson, Tree of SmokeI was getting used to being off by myself, and then I went home and saw all these friends and got to hang out with my family, and when I got back to Fargo it was like I had forgotten how to be alone. But also, this book is killing me. It's about Vietnam and how out of place all these Westerners feel and all the terrible things they're doing and that are happening to them there. I don't think I would mind it so much if I hadn't been to Cambodia in the spring and couldn't imagine the scenery he's describing, but his description is uncanny, which makes it easy for me to put myself in the book and experience the isolation his characters are feeling. I'm going to finish it, though.
Well, that's enough navel-gazing. I don't have to worry so much about being alone: I'm leaving for Erin's wedding in Minneapolis tomorrow, coming home Sunday and picking up Les on the drive home, seeing Ellen after Les leaves, and then going to Milwaukee at the end of the week to see Lia. The week after that, I guess my assistanceship is starting? And the week after that is orientation and the beginning of classes. It's a little bit overwhelming, but I'd rather be overwhelmed around a bunch of people than underwhelmed and by myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment